7/12/22

SUNKEN ISLAND OLYMPIC - 7/10/22 - E FREETOWN MA

 


I had not done a tri in over 3 years. And, I had been plagued with torn meniscus injuries for 2 of those years. I wanted to see if I could even still do a tri. I purchased the 80/20 plan because there was a lot of easy time spent in zones 1&2. I chose a competitive plan of course which meant 3 x swim, 3xbike,3xrun each week. I couldn't do it all so I only did 2 swims each week. I did 95% of the rest of the workouts. It went well. I was well trained for this race and I knew my swim would be sub par but I was willing to accept that. I was involved in a huge project at work and I had other stressors (mom, Kathy's diverticulitis, Kathy's work from Feb through May was extremely stressful.). During that time Kathy could not cook at all so it all fell to me while trying to fit in 9-11 hours of training. We got through it.


The day before the race I had laid around the house. I did not put on race wheels as I did not have time to bring the bike to Brian. I ate lots of carbs and for dinner I had rotisserie chicken, squash and mashed potatoes all prepared from Roache Brothers. I was constipated the next day and did not poop the entire day of the race. I will not eat that food the night before a race again.

Morning of race I ate a banana, a few pieces of bagel with almond butter, coffee, water, some fuel for fire and a GU 15 minutes before the start of the swim. It was plenty for me that day. Mary drove down with me and Jeff Weidenaar met us there.

The swim was wicked choppy. I was breathing fast and hard for the first 10 minutes then finally settled in. My swim was slowish on average 2:13/100. In transition my wetty got caught on my sensor. Transition was slow, over 3:30.

The bike was good. I kept my watts around 150-157 as much as I could. Garmin shows my AVE speed at 18.2/ watts avg 153. I think that's good for my first time back in a while. There was a long incline in the first 2 miles of the double loop. I passed one guy and one girl. Got passed once by a guy. This race was extremely small, under 50 participants in the Olympic. Bike went smooth. Transition was good.

When I first started the run I was under 7:30s. I slowed that down a bit so I could make it last. I eventually settled into 7:44. Then all hell broke loose. I hadn't seen anyone for miles and finally asked a young woman where Camp Cathedral was and I learned I had run off course by 5 fucking miles. I turned around and run 3 miles back then found a police officer for a ride the last 2 miles. I crossed the finish line with my run being on AVE 11:28s. lol... At any rate it still earned me 1st in my AG. Total time was 3:27:28 I think. I beat out 2nd place by only a min and a half. All that walk running on the way back paid off. lol.

It was a beautiful day and I was just happy I was able to get back safely. There were a few moments I felt a little vulnerable since I had not phone. Totally disappointed and devastated at first because I had trained hard since March but looking at the big picture how can I not just be glad that A) I ran an amazing 5 miles averaging 7:44s. My bike was great and the swim was as expected.

No comments:

Blog Archive